Kingswood History Society

Barrow Road Remembered

Steam, Sheds, Sidings and Smoke were the order of the day, as Dave Cheesley gave an atmospheric presentation. Dave took us through many of his boyhood and later memories of this great railway yard, near Lawrence Hill. Many photos were shown presenting the yard from different viewing points, alas nothing remains including the 13 arch Bridge.

The yard including the railway Sheds were built in 1873 and closed in 1965. Demolition followed in 1966. It was built to service the Midland railway. The line coming out to cross the GWR line just above the Lawrence Hill Station and up the 1:55 incline to Fishponds and beyond.

There were grand plans for the MR station at St Phillips. The Gin Palace in Old Market was the start of a familiar associated Railway hotel. However, the plan was changed to expand Temple Meads to become jointly owned by MR and GWR.

The line started in1835 as a gravity line from Coalpit Heath into Avon Street. Horses pulling the empty coal trucks back. MR became LMS  1923-48, before becoming British Rail. The Royal Mail Train might be seen every night as it started its way to Newcastle.

A great insight into days gone past not to be lost on the audience with many questions for Dave, all expertly answered.

Next meeting at the Park Centre, Kingswood is Tuesday 1st August, 7pm for 7.30 pm start.

Presentation by Mike Hooper on Looking Back at Old Market and Castle Street (please refer to website for any late change)

Visitors £3.50 incl tea/coffee and biscuit.

Full schedule of presentations for 2023 can be found at www.kingswoodhistorysociety.