Echo pond forms part of William Champion’s gardens in Warmley. The semi-circular pond was mentioned by Sir Joseph Banks in a written account of his visit to the gardens in 1767, and was once fed by water from the leat which ran the whole length of the Champion estate. It may have served as an overflow for the water system as well as providing a fish pond for William Champion’s house, now known as Warmley House.
Despite several attempts to restore the pond it has become partly overgrown, but the echo may still be heard from immediately in front of the pond facing the back wall.
The photograph was taken in early January this year and shows the pond very full as a result of the heavy rainfall.